Alan Gibby, Deseret News Archives
On Monday, NPR’s news radio show “All Things Considered” featured LDS sister missionaries in a four-minute segment by Stina Sieg called “At A Younger Age, Mormon Women Are Eager To Share Their Faith.”
"There are 11,000 more female missionaries around the world now than there were a year ago. Women account for 24 percent of all Mormon missionaries, up from 15 percent before the change," Sieg said in the feature. "Like their male counterparts, they're disconnecting from worldly belongings and focusing solely on their faith. No hobbies, no school, no social media — unless it relates to their mission."
The clip quotes three sister missionaries who are leaving soon or are currently serving a mission because of the missionary age change made last October. It also quotes Cindy Packard, a spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“There's something about these young, vibrant, loving women that I think can touch hearts in a different way than sometimes the young men can do," Packard said in the segment. "I think that the world will only be so much better because these young women are now able to serve at a younger age."
Last week, LDS missionaries were also highlighted in an article titled “Young Mormons gain much perspective from their missions” by Morgan Watkins for The Gainesville Sun in Florida. The piece explains the missionary lifestyle, as well as some life lessons missionaries learn.
“They've learned not to judge people by their appearance,” Watkins wrote in the article. “(Elder) Goodrich remembers approaching a man with a teardrop tattoo leaning against a Crown Vic who got emotional during their conversation, even though he looked like a tough guy.”
The Gainesville Sun piece also talks about the surge in sister missionaries in the Florida-Jackson Mission, which increased from comprising 10 percent of the mission earlier this year, and will shortly be up to 45 percent.
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- LDS Church leaders speak at RootsTech Family...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- Elder Oaks to speak at Johns Hopkins on...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 38
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 13
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church... 5
- Panthers or Broncos? God does not care 5
- Hamblin & Peterson: Buddhism and violence 5