SALT LAKE CITY — Time is money according to a new campaign launched Tuesday by the Utah System of Higher Education that encourages students to expedite their college and university education by registering for a full 15-credit schedule.
The "15 to Finish" campaign, which begins this week with paid advertisements and a 30-second video to be shown on campuses across the state, extols the benefits of a shortened academic timeline and the diminished housing, tuition, books and parking costs that go with it.
"'15 to Finish' is the centerpiece of a larger college completion initiative that has been approved by the State Board of Regents and supported by all eight institutional presidents,” Commissioner of Higher Education Dave Buhler said in a prepared statement. “We know that students who enroll in at least 15 credits finish college faster and can start on a career that provides financial independence and increased lifetime earnings.”
On several occasions, Buhler has listed an emphasis on full-time enrollment as one of higher education's initiatives to achieve the "66 by 2020" goal, which calls for two-thirds of Utah adults to hold a postsecondary degree or certificate by 2020.
Most of Utah's colleges and universities offer a 15-credit semester at the same tuition price as a 12-credit schedule, incentivizing students to complete a bachelor's degree in four years and an associate degree in two years.
The requirements for the state's Regents Scholarship and New Century Scholarship were also recently changed to establish a 15-credit semester as the minimum for eligibility.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- 'To this day, I don't believe I did it': War...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 156
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 60
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 45
- Police release names of officers... 31
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 29
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18