Charges: Former Cottonwood Heights nanny wrote letter admitting abuse of children
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A former nanny accused of intentionally injuring two children was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Tuesday.
Traci Omer, 21, of Cottonwood Heights, was charged in 3rd District Court last week with intentional child abuse resulting in serious injury, a second-degree felony.
From Feb. 19 to July 11, Omer was hired by a Cottonwood Heights family to be the nanny for their two children, ages 1 and 2. In April, the mother noticed a scratch on the 1-year-old's forehead, according to charging documents. Then in July, she told police she noticed another bruise on his forehead that was covered by makeup.
Omer was fired on July 11. But on Aug. 24, Omer allegedly sent a letter to the family admitting that the 1-year-old had not been safe in her care.
Omer wrote that during the time she watched the children, she would poke, force feed, and "snap a rubber band" against the 1-year-old's leg, the charges state. She would also deliberately make the baby cry, grab the baby in anger, scratch the infant's cheek and once gave the child an "angry scrub" with a kitchen sponge.
"I had gone so far as to scrape off the skin and draw blood," Omer wrote in her letter, according to charging documents. "It was surprisingly easy to do."
She also said she could have prevented the child from falling in the bathtub, causing one of his earlier marks, but didn't, the charges state.
An initial hearing was held Tuesday in 3rd District Court. A judge ordered Omer to be taken into custody. A bail hearing was set for Thursday.
Utah state court records show Omer has no other criminal history in Utah.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20