UVU golf: Wolverines in 16th after two rounds at Bill Cullum Invitational
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. — The Utah Valley University men's golf team holds 16th place after a second round of the Bill Cullum Invitational that was suspended due to darkness Monday evening.
All five Wolverine golfers were able to complete 36 holes Monday, but four teams had players unable to finish both rounds. The second round will resume at 8:45 a.m. MT on Tuesday followed by a 9 a.m. shotgun start for the third and final round.
With a team score of 603, UVU is positioned nine strokes back of 15th-place and fellow WAC member Seattle University (592) and 13 strokes behind a two-way tie for 13th featuring Hawai'i and Sacramento State (590). Preston Richards carded Monday's best score for the Wolverines, going 73-76 to fall into a tie for 52nd.
"This is a tough course," said UVU head coach Chris Curran of the 6,819 yard Wood Ranch Golf Club. "We just played poorly today, made too many mistakes. We'll see if we can bounce back with some good scores tomorrow."
Reigning tournament champion San Diego is back in front at the Invitational as the Toreros led after 18 holes with a team score of 282 and were -18 at the time of suspension. Nearest USD are 24th-ranked Arizona State, which completed all 36 holes Monday and posted a 563 (-13).
Utah Valley's Noah Cook (75-75), who finished third at the Utah Invitational two weeks ago, is tied for 60th alongside teammate Corey Eccles (76-74). JT Timmons' first day 79-75 ties him for 78th, and Brayden Eriksen (80-77) is tied for 98th.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27