Aaron Guile: I wish Jazz coach Ty Corbin would speak his mind more often
Politicians use PR tactics to hide information from their constituents, their opponents, lawyers, wives and girlfriends. Likewise, Corbin uses public relations to keep the contents of the store safe. Eventually, the other teams will work out what the Jazz are up to, but that doesn't mean Corbin should tip his hand.
NBC Sports highlights a different type of speech. Today Kurt Helin wrote:
“Apparently Utah’s front office is sold that Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward are key parts of the future of this franchise. Utah is saying all that with their money.” According to Helin, the Jazz front office does its talking with money.
Also, SI.com’s “The Point Forward” blogger Ben Golliver writes:
“Favors will join Wizards guard John Wall (five years, $80 million), Kings center DeMarcus Cousins (four years, $62 million), Pacers forward Paul George (five years, $90 million) and Bucks center Larry Sanders (four years, $44 million) among 2010 picks to agree to terms on rookie extensions so far this offseason.”
By contrast, players speak differently. On Sunday, Kanter said, “Preseason or real season, I’m tired of losing.”
Pretty simple. Kanter wants to win. I’m with him.
Words are kind of like McDonalds’ french fries — cheap and easy but everlasting, growing only slightly stale over the centuries. While I wish Corbin spoke a bit more like Kanter, I am very glad he does not compare his players by their salaries like members of the press often do.
However, I’d like to hear Corbin shout out something unpracticed during a game sometime, even it if was his favorite food. He should shout it out without prior approval from the front office, the legal department, PR consultants or his mother.
Blurting out “pastrami burger” might seem a little weird, but it’s a weird I can deal with.
Aaron Guile lives in Provo, Utah. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and can be followed on Twitter at @AaronGuile.
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU-Utah State is a rivalry again due to...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35