Deputy charged with having sexual relationships with 3 inmates
ST. GEORGE — A former Washington County corrections deputy was charged Monday with sexual misconduct with three female inmates.
Steven Garrett Thayer, 27, was charged with custodial sexual relations, a third-degree felony, and seven counts of custodial sexual misconduct, a class A misdemeanor.
Two female inmates at Washington County's Purgatory Jail told police they had sexual interactions with Thayer on several occasions, according to an affidavit filed in 5th District Court.
When police interviewed Thayer, he admitted to some of the sexual misconduct, and told investigators about a sexual relationship with a third female inmate, the affidavit states.
Police arrested Thayer Oct. 15, the same day the Washington County Sheriff's Office announced that Thayer had been fired.
Sheriff's spokesman Nate Abbott confirmed at the time that an internal investigation by the sheriff's office has concluded. The Washington County Attorney's Office is conducting a criminal investigation.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Healing underway in Greek Orthodox community
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 48
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 43
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12