Deputy charged with having sexual relationships with 3 inmates
ST. GEORGE — A former Washington County corrections deputy was charged Monday with sexual misconduct with three female inmates.
Steven Garrett Thayer, 27, was charged with custodial sexual relations, a third-degree felony, and seven counts of custodial sexual misconduct, a class A misdemeanor.
Two female inmates at Washington County's Purgatory Jail told police they had sexual interactions with Thayer on several occasions, according to an affidavit filed in 5th District Court.
When police interviewed Thayer, he admitted to some of the sexual misconduct, and told investigators about a sexual relationship with a third female inmate, the affidavit states.
Police arrested Thayer Oct. 15, the same day the Washington County Sheriff's Office announced that Thayer had been fired.
Sheriff's spokesman Nate Abbott confirmed at the time that an internal investigation by the sheriff's office has concluded. The Washington County Attorney's Office is conducting a criminal investigation.
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Expunging criminal records expected to help...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 50
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 17
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 13
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike,... 11
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10