Deputy charged with having sexual relationships with 3 inmates
ST. GEORGE — A former Washington County corrections deputy was charged Monday with sexual misconduct with three female inmates.
Steven Garrett Thayer, 27, was charged with custodial sexual relations, a third-degree felony, and seven counts of custodial sexual misconduct, a class A misdemeanor.
Two female inmates at Washington County's Purgatory Jail told police they had sexual interactions with Thayer on several occasions, according to an affidavit filed in 5th District Court.
When police interviewed Thayer, he admitted to some of the sexual misconduct, and told investigators about a sexual relationship with a third female inmate, the affidavit states.
Police arrested Thayer Oct. 15, the same day the Washington County Sheriff's Office announced that Thayer had been fired.
Sheriff's spokesman Nate Abbott confirmed at the time that an internal investigation by the sheriff's office has concluded. The Washington County Attorney's Office is conducting a criminal investigation.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14