Doug Robinson: Raised on the US Constitution, Utah woman now helping other countries write their own
Toler is focusing on motherhood, although she is doing so in typical, multitasking style. She is working on her doctorate 10 hours a week and continuing her constitutional consulting practice 15 hours a week. Her practice focuses on countries that are in transition or in a post-revolution state that are trying to re-establish government or revising or amending their constitutions.
Early this year, while seven months pregnant, she spent a month in Libya, advising various organizations on the process of writing Libya’s own constitution. She returned to Libya again in June and plans another visit later this year.
“How it is written is just as important, if not more important, than what’s in the constitution,” she says. “If people are involved in the creation process, if those who write it are respected, if they feel they have a voice in it and the process is transparent, they will respect the outcome. The goal is voluntary compliance with the law.”
For Toler, it is a labor of love. The girl who read 700-page tomes and attended lectures and grew to revere the American Founders is now traveling to other countries, helping future founders forge their own constitutions.
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Study: Fathers as likely as mothers to kill...
- Dinosaur discoveries in Utah's 'amazing...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 98
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 14