SALT LAKE CITY — A Wisconsin man arrested for unlawful detention last week is now being investigated for human trafficking.
Vince Duane Toran, 26, of Milwaukee, was arrested Thursday at a hotel near the Salt Lake City International Airport for investigation of unlawful detention. But over the weekend, jail records were changed to indicate he is now being held for investigation of human trafficking.
Police received a report Thursday of a 21-year-old woman being held against her will. Salt Lake Police Sgt. Robin Heiden said the woman reportedly flew to California from Iowa to meet Toran, only to learn she was now going to work for him against her will.
The woman told police she was driven to Utah from Nevada by Toran and forced to "engage in commercial sexual activity," a Salt Lake County Jail report states. She was with two other females and the group was on their way to Denver when they stopped in Salt Lake City for the night, Heiden said.
The woman said she was "never left alone and was not free to leave," and Toran took all of her money, the report states. But she was able to get away for a brief moment at the Salt Lake motel and call for help, Heiden said.
No criminal charges have yet been filed in the case.
— Pat Reavy
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Utah artisan's handmade guitars gaining...
- Huntsville man with unreported history of...
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight with...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 58
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 36
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 16