Amy Donaldson: The key to the longevity and success of gold-medal contenders is kindness
Even the way Davis and White conduct an interview indicates the kindness and consideration they have for each other. They alternate answering the questions, never interrupting or cutting each other off.
Maybe more than their skill and their success, it’s their grace toward each other, and those who support and help them, that is the real reason they’ve navigated 17 years of life while competing at the highest levels possible.
The world may consider them front-runners for a gold medal in Sochi, but they do not see it that way.
“We definitely consider ourselves among the favorites,” Davis said. “But we don’t take anything for granted. We’ve worked for 17 years for this, and we’re so grateful and proud of what we’ve accomplished so far. But we still have things to work on and things we want to accomplish. Really, it’s working on perfecting our craft and being the best we can be. That’s really it.”
And when they’re done competing, what will happen to one of the most successful partnerships in the sport’s history? “We’re definitely tied together for the rest of our lives,” White said. “We know each other better than we know pretty much anyone else in the world. We will always have a special relationship. It’s definitely a life-long relationship.” But, and they are clear about this, it’s not a romantic relationship. It’s simply a friendship, a partnership, a team formed on a principle that is often lost in competitive sports — consideration.
And in being kind to each other, they’re able to compete with the kind of drive and results that only the world’s best can boast.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Utes return home and handle Huskies, 90-82,...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 32