Amy Donaldson: The key to the longevity and success of gold-medal contenders is kindness
Even the way Davis and White conduct an interview indicates the kindness and consideration they have for each other. They alternate answering the questions, never interrupting or cutting each other off.
Maybe more than their skill and their success, it’s their grace toward each other, and those who support and help them, that is the real reason they’ve navigated 17 years of life while competing at the highest levels possible.
The world may consider them front-runners for a gold medal in Sochi, but they do not see it that way.
“We definitely consider ourselves among the favorites,” Davis said. “But we don’t take anything for granted. We’ve worked for 17 years for this, and we’re so grateful and proud of what we’ve accomplished so far. But we still have things to work on and things we want to accomplish. Really, it’s working on perfecting our craft and being the best we can be. That’s really it.”
And when they’re done competing, what will happen to one of the most successful partnerships in the sport’s history? “We’re definitely tied together for the rest of our lives,” White said. “We know each other better than we know pretty much anyone else in the world. We will always have a special relationship. It’s definitely a life-long relationship.” But, and they are clear about this, it’s not a romantic relationship. It’s simply a friendship, a partnership, a team formed on a principle that is often lost in competitive sports — consideration.
And in being kind to each other, they’re able to compete with the kind of drive and results that only the world’s best can boast.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 80
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 37
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 37
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 26
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 23