BYU volleyball: Brigham Young University takes down Gonzaga to stay undefeated in WCC
SPOKANE, Wash. – Junior Hannah Robison led BYU women’s volleyball to a three-set (25-20, 25-14, 25-17) victory on the road at Gonzaga on Saturday to remain the sole undefeated team in West Coast Conference play.
“This was a very nice win for our team,” BYU head coach Shawn Olmstead said. “A great match by the entire group. Alexa (Gray) and Hannah (Robison) were on fire at the pins. Ciara (Parker) made some huge digs. I’m happy for this team.”
Robison had 12 kills on 21 attempts to hit a .476 clip, to go along with seven blocks and two service aces. Sophomore libero Ciara Parker led the team in digs with nine, while sophomore setter Camry Godfrey contributed 32 assists. Freshman Whitney Young led the Cougars on defense with 12 total blocks, a new career high. Alexa Gray added eight kills and three blocks in the victory.
BYU got off to a quick 6-2 start from multiple Bulldog attack errors. Gonzaga quickly bounced back, though, to take a 14-13 lead from a block. The two teams traded points back and forth from there, with neither team having more than a one-point edge until a pair of Gray kills helped to propel the Cougars to a 20-18 advantage. BYU finished on a 6-1 run to take the set, 25-20, from a Robsion kill.
Gonzaga opened up the second set on a 4-0 run, but the Cougars matched that, going on a 4-0 run of their own. BYU continued with its success, outscoring its opponent 10-3 to take a 14-8 lead. The Bulldogs couldn’t find an answer for BYU as Robison finished out the second set with a pair of kills, 25-14.
Gray gave the Cougars their first point of the third set with a kill. The score stayed close in the early going, tied 10 times until a 5-0 BYU run put the Cougars ahead at 18-12. BYU closed the third and final set at 25-17 from a Bulldog attack error.
The Cougars continue conference play on the road next week by heading to Pacific for an 8 p.m. PDT Thursday matchup. The game will be broadcast live on ESPNU. Links to live stats can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.
Royce Hinton is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Sports BLT: BYU pregame features tailgating,...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU... 28