I'd like to encourage everyone to support the recent proposal Rep. Pat Jones brought to the Utah Legislature. This means the families choosing to have more kids would pay more for those kids to be educated.
Education is the only service in life where the more you use it (more children), the less you pay for it. Let's turn that around so the people using the services the most do not get tax breaks the more they use it. This bill would eliminate the state exemption for everyone; no favorites.
We still would get the federal income tax deduction. It generates about $300,000 per year for each elementary school, about $550,000 for middle schools and about $1 million for each high school. Parents have the say as to how the money is spent and it creates thousands of new, good-paying jobs (reading and math teachers, career guidance counselors, etc.) that stay in our communities.
It's time we put up or shut up about the sorry state of state education funding. Fiftieth in per pupil spending will not allow our kids to be competitive in a global marketplace. I have two kids of my own and am happy to kick in more tax dollars.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- Letter: Elected representatives
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion:: Nelson Mandela left legacy...
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- The winners and the losers
- Letter: No limits
- Michael Gerson: Cancer has helped me see life...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 53
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Letter: Elected representatives 31
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 19
- Letter: No limits 19
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an... 11