I'd like to encourage everyone to support the recent proposal Rep. Pat Jones brought to the Utah Legislature. This means the families choosing to have more kids would pay more for those kids to be educated.
Education is the only service in life where the more you use it (more children), the less you pay for it. Let's turn that around so the people using the services the most do not get tax breaks the more they use it. This bill would eliminate the state exemption for everyone; no favorites.
We still would get the federal income tax deduction. It generates about $300,000 per year for each elementary school, about $550,000 for middle schools and about $1 million for each high school. Parents have the say as to how the money is spent and it creates thousands of new, good-paying jobs (reading and math teachers, career guidance counselors, etc.) that stay in our communities.
It's time we put up or shut up about the sorry state of state education funding. Fiftieth in per pupil spending will not allow our kids to be competitive in a global marketplace. I have two kids of my own and am happy to kick in more tax dollars.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Democracy and political...
- Jeff Singer: From doctors to bureaucrats: A...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Legislative...
- Letter: Hive Pass prices unfair
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- Charles Krauthammer: Serious foreign policy,...
- Letter: No sportsmanship, no class
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win... 40
- Letter: Invite the divine 37
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 35
- Letter: Putin's invasion 24
- Richard Davis: Russia should be stopped... 21
- Letter: Democracy is ... 19
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:... 19
- Will November be a referendum on... 17