Ravell Call, Deseret News
Mexico’s media exploded with praise for the United States this week after their neighbors to the north won a World Cup qualifying match.
Headlines across front pages of Mexican newspaper read, “ ‘We Love You,’ and ‘Thank You, USA,’ ” according to the Associated Press. World Soccer Talk showed images of the various Mexican newspapers that thanked the United States.
“Amazingly, newspapers in Mexico — the United States’s fiercest rival — essentially got down on their knees and thanked their neighbors to the north for keeping their World Cup dreams alive,” wrote Christopher Harris on World Soccer Talk.
Because Mexico lost its own match, it needed the U.S. to win its game against Panama. In the closing minutes of the match, the Americans were down 2-1 and victory seemed in Panama’s favor. But the U.S. struck fast and sealed a 3-2 win, sending Mexico forward to a playoff match next month for a berth into the World Cup.
And then came the praise from Mexico.
“Mexico and the U.S. are usually bitter rivals. Feelings are so strong in Mexico that fans chanted the name of Osama bin Laden as the Star Spangled Banner played in a 2004 Olympic qualifying game,” reported the AP.
But newspapers weren’t the only form of media partaking in this moment. Business Insider reported a Mexican announcer who was calling Mexico’s loss to Costa Rica started “going wild” once the USA won its game.
"Gol Estados Unidos! We love you! We love you forever and ever! God bless America!" he yelled, according to Business Insider.
The video of the announcer made waves throughout the Internet on Wednesday and Thursday.
Even a Mexican senator weighed in on the game through Twitter.
“Gracias USA!!!!! Quédense con Texas y California!!! Graaaaciaaassss!!!!!! #VamosMexico,” he wrote.
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double overtime...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between BYU...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double... 94
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26