SALT LAKE CITY — A 2-year-old girl fell more than 9 feet from a Motel 6 balcony Friday morning, but police say they don't suspect foul play.
"We are in the middle of the investigation, but the evidence appears at this point that what happened was an accident," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Craig Gleason said.
The girl appeared to be in good condition, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out, Gleason said.
"She's upset, but she's speaking and she's well enough to cry," he said. "It's sad to look at her, but she doesn't appear to be seriously hurt."
Police received multiple calls around 9 a.m. "about a falling baby or a baby that had been thrown off a balcony," Gleason said.
According to statements gathered by police, there were multiple people on one of the motel's 3 ½-foot-wide, second-floor outdoor walkways at 1990 W. North Temple, Gleason said.
"Just in the chaos of a bunch of people trying to get through a small space, unfortunately that child was knocked off the edge," he said.
Gleason said the girl's father put her in the car after the fall and started driving to the hospital. A Utah Highway Patrol officer stopped the man at North Temple and Main, where an ambulance arrived and took the girl to the hospital.
Gleason said he understands the temptation to take someone straight to the hospital, but injured people will receive medical attention faster when an ambulance is called.
"It's better to call 911 and get yourself medical care at your scene," he said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: EmileeEagar
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14