SALT LAKE CITY — A 2-year-old girl fell more than 9 feet from a Motel 6 balcony Friday morning, but police say they don't suspect foul play.
"We are in the middle of the investigation, but the evidence appears at this point that what happened was an accident," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Craig Gleason said.
The girl appeared to be in good condition, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out, Gleason said.
"She's upset, but she's speaking and she's well enough to cry," he said. "It's sad to look at her, but she doesn't appear to be seriously hurt."
Police received multiple calls around 9 a.m. "about a falling baby or a baby that had been thrown off a balcony," Gleason said.
According to statements gathered by police, there were multiple people on one of the motel's 3 ½-foot-wide, second-floor outdoor walkways at 1990 W. North Temple, Gleason said.
"Just in the chaos of a bunch of people trying to get through a small space, unfortunately that child was knocked off the edge," he said.
Gleason said the girl's father put her in the car after the fall and started driving to the hospital. A Utah Highway Patrol officer stopped the man at North Temple and Main, where an ambulance arrived and took the girl to the hospital.
Gleason said he understands the temptation to take someone straight to the hospital, but injured people will receive medical attention faster when an ambulance is called.
"It's better to call 911 and get yourself medical care at your scene," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: EmileeEagar
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Redefining college: How associate degrees...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Q and A: The business of being Moab
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15
- Second student sues district over... 14