SALT LAKE CITY — A 2-year-old girl fell more than 9 feet from a Motel 6 balcony Friday morning, but police say they don't suspect foul play.
"We are in the middle of the investigation, but the evidence appears at this point that what happened was an accident," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Craig Gleason said.
The girl appeared to be in good condition, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out, Gleason said.
"She's upset, but she's speaking and she's well enough to cry," he said. "It's sad to look at her, but she doesn't appear to be seriously hurt."
Police received multiple calls around 9 a.m. "about a falling baby or a baby that had been thrown off a balcony," Gleason said.
According to statements gathered by police, there were multiple people on one of the motel's 3 ½-foot-wide, second-floor outdoor walkways at 1990 W. North Temple, Gleason said.
"Just in the chaos of a bunch of people trying to get through a small space, unfortunately that child was knocked off the edge," he said.
Gleason said the girl's father put her in the car after the fall and started driving to the hospital. A Utah Highway Patrol officer stopped the man at North Temple and Main, where an ambulance arrived and took the girl to the hospital.
Gleason said he understands the temptation to take someone straight to the hospital, but injured people will receive medical attention faster when an ambulance is called.
"It's better to call 911 and get yourself medical care at your scene," he said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: EmileeEagar
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- House, Senate still struggling over budget
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 31
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18
- Judge: Biological father will share... 16