SALT LAKE CITY — A 2-year-old girl fell more than 9 feet from a Motel 6 balcony Friday morning, but police say they don't suspect foul play.
"We are in the middle of the investigation, but the evidence appears at this point that what happened was an accident," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Craig Gleason said.
The girl appeared to be in good condition, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out, Gleason said.
"She's upset, but she's speaking and she's well enough to cry," he said. "It's sad to look at her, but she doesn't appear to be seriously hurt."
Police received multiple calls around 9 a.m. "about a falling baby or a baby that had been thrown off a balcony," Gleason said.
According to statements gathered by police, there were multiple people on one of the motel's 3 ½-foot-wide, second-floor outdoor walkways at 1990 W. North Temple, Gleason said.
"Just in the chaos of a bunch of people trying to get through a small space, unfortunately that child was knocked off the edge," he said.
Gleason said the girl's father put her in the car after the fall and started driving to the hospital. A Utah Highway Patrol officer stopped the man at North Temple and Main, where an ambulance arrived and took the girl to the hospital.
Gleason said he understands the temptation to take someone straight to the hospital, but injured people will receive medical attention faster when an ambulance is called.
"It's better to call 911 and get yourself medical care at your scene," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: EmileeEagar
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8