SALT LAKE CITY — A 2-year-old girl fell more than 9 feet from a Motel 6 balcony Friday morning, but police say they don't suspect foul play.
"We are in the middle of the investigation, but the evidence appears at this point that what happened was an accident," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Craig Gleason said.
The girl appeared to be in good condition, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out, Gleason said.
"She's upset, but she's speaking and she's well enough to cry," he said. "It's sad to look at her, but she doesn't appear to be seriously hurt."
Police received multiple calls around 9 a.m. "about a falling baby or a baby that had been thrown off a balcony," Gleason said.
According to statements gathered by police, there were multiple people on one of the motel's 3 ½-foot-wide, second-floor outdoor walkways at 1990 W. North Temple, Gleason said.
"Just in the chaos of a bunch of people trying to get through a small space, unfortunately that child was knocked off the edge," he said.
Gleason said the girl's father put her in the car after the fall and started driving to the hospital. A Utah Highway Patrol officer stopped the man at North Temple and Main, where an ambulance arrived and took the girl to the hospital.
Gleason said he understands the temptation to take someone straight to the hospital, but injured people will receive medical attention faster when an ambulance is called.
"It's better to call 911 and get yourself medical care at your scene," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: EmileeEagar
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- Controversial Rocky Mountain Power bill gets...
- Police investigating death of man found near...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 30
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11