Nurse's assistant charged with sexually abusing 11-year-old patient
SALT LAKE CITY — A nurse's assistant at Primary Children's Hospital was charged Thursday with sexually abusing an 11-year-old patient.
David Elijah Jensen, 22, of Santaquin, was charged with sodomy upon a child and aggravated sexual abuse of a child, both first-degree felonies. Jensen, a patient care tech for 18 months at the hospital, faces up to life in prison if convicted.
Jensen entered the 11-year-old's hospital room late on Oct. 9, lifted the boy's medical gown and touched the patient's "private parts," according to charging documents. The boy said he "thought the defendant was coming into the room to check him medically."
The nurse's assistant returned to the boy's hospital room a short time later and sexually assaulted him, the charges state.
Jensen later admitted touching the boy and abusing him, according to prosecutors.
In a statement released Friday, Primary Children’s Hospital spokeswoman Bonnie Midget said hospital officials were "devastated to receive a report of sexual assault of a patient by an employee."
The hospital suspended, then fired Jensen, who started in September 2011 as a part-time volunteer, then later began working for the company full-time.
"The idea that one of our own employees would harm a patient violates every principle of this hospital, its physicians and staff members, who have devoted their lives to caring for children. We have expressed our profound regrets and apologies to the family. We continue to offer them Primary Children’s support and services," Midget said.
"We are deeply grateful for the courage of those who reported this to us and for the immediate response of law enforcement with whom we are working closely," she said. "We remain committed to maintaining a safe, healing environment for all children."
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12