When we teach our kids these truths, we need to take a principle like “don’t have sex before you get married” and offer a precept (a scripture that tells us this) with it. When we couple these together, it reveals a characteristic of God that says he loves me and wants me to experience purity in my mind and body and relationships and so he protects me with the absolute truth. ("Teaching from Right From Wrong" by Josh McDowell)
We Let those absolute truths be our guide
It’s so easy for our children to question what truth is in our constantly changing world, especially when there are being fed lies by our culture, especially in media. Lies that say they have to be sexy or thin or tolerant. We live counter to cultural lives by not jumping on every new norm that presents itself in society.
It’s okay to say what we believe, to stand up for biblical principles no matter what we read or hear in our society. When we teach absolute truths from the Bible, we let those truths guide us.
Present opportunities to fall in love with Jesus
As a teen, some of my decisions to remain pure, not cuss-party-drink-or-date-boys-that-do, were driven by fear and not always by relationship. While I want my kids to have a healthy fear of mamma and daddy and God, I mostly want them to make choices because of their relationship with God, out of a desire to honor and follow him. It goes beyond attending church once a week and doing moral stuff. Our kids need to see us pursuing a relationship with God; they need us to lead them in devotions, teach them how to pray, home school them in the ways of God.
If our kids don’t have a moral compass, they will feel lost in the world, constantly changing how they see truth. Our kids are going to make mistakes, just like us. It’s how we learn how to get it right. And when we offer grace, we show them more of Jesus.
It’s not an easy road to navigate, but if we ask him to guide us, he will.
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 23
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6