High school football: East racks up 49 against region rival Bountiful in huge win
Bill Quick, Deseret Digital Media
SALT LAKE CITY — The East Leopards racked up 49 points against Region 6 rival Bountiful to win 49-14 Thursday Night.
Bountiful controlled the game midway through the first quarter, holding the Leopards scoreless until East's Ula Tolutau took the ball off the left side for a 47-yard run, East's first touchdown.
The Braves stalled on their next two drives, and East took advantage with a long catch-and-run that ended on the 2-yard line. Seconds later, East's Tolutau rushed in for his second touchdown of the night.
The Braves found hope in the second quarter with an interception by Ryan Curtis only to have it dashed away with a fumble on the return. East struck quickly with a pass over the middle from Joe Tukuafu to Isaac Valles for a 78-yard touchdown.
Bountiful responded by scoring on an 18-yard touchdown pass from Trevor Lloyd to Sam Merrill for its first points of the night.
After a short ensuing kickoff, East handed the ball off to running back Ula Tolutau for a 61-yard run, his third touchdown of the night. This put East up 35-7 at the half.
In the 3rd quarter, Preston Curtis scored on a 7-yard run, putting East up 42-7.
East fumbled on the 5-yard line and four plays later, the Braves posted their second touchdown of the night on a pass from Trevor Lloyd to Tanner Redding.
It was too late at that point for Bountiful. The Leopards went on to score another touchdown on a 59-yard run by second-team quarterback Lorenzo Manu.
Both Bountiful and East will close out the regular season next week. East will play at Kearns and Bountiful will take on Highland at home.
Bill Quick, an Idaho native, studied communications, history and business at the University of Utah. He is the Sr. Director of Marketplace Operations at Deseret Digital Media and Deseret Connect Contributor. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?; Andre...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 55
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 32
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23