BYU tennis: No. 2 seed Sargeant and Goryachkov stay strong, advance at regionals
LAS VEGAS — The No. 2 seeded doubles duo, Francis Sargeant and Andrey Goryachkov, overpowered their opponent to advance to the third round as BYU men's tennis closed out its second day at the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships on Thursday.
Sargeant and Goryachkov played their first doubles match of the tournament, beating Ryan Andrada and Quentin Mege of Nevada, 8-4. The two Cougars enjoyed a first-round bye.
In other doubles action, BYU was not so fortunate as each team was ousted in the second round. Freshmen Sterling Galli and Jacob Sullivan came up short and lost to No. 4 seed Ace Matias and Denys Pume of UNLV, 8-4. The other freshmen duo, Jeremy Bourgeois and Juan Canales, lost to Montana State's Kenny Dodd and Javier Martin-Morillas, 8-3.
The doubles team of BYU's Nikki Rae and New Mexico's Bryan Cunningham were ousted by No. 5 seed Jose Bendeck and Cristobal Ramos of Idaho, 8-3.
Sargeant also saw success in singles action. The No. 6 seeded junior advanced to the round of 16 with a solid victory over No. 23 seed Ben Tasevac of Utah, 6-3, 6-3.
Sophomore Goryachkov also faced an opponent from Utah, but he was defeated by No. 3 seed Slim Hamza, 6-2, 6-1.
The singles and doubles champions advance to the 2013 USTA/ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships on November 7-9, at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, located in Flushing, N.Y.
Day three of regionals begins with doubles at 9 a.m. PDT on Friday. Tournament results can be viewed on the USTA website.
Doubles round of 32
(4) Matias/Pume (UNLV) d. Galli/Sullivan (BYU) 8-4
Dodd/Martin-Morillas (MSU) d. Bourgeois/Canales (BYU) 8-3
(5) Bendeck/Ramos (UI) d. Rae(BYU)/Cunningham(NM) 8-3
(2) Goryachkov/Sargeant (BYU) d. Andrada/Mege (UNR) 8-4
Singles round of 32
(6) Francis Sargeant (BYU) d. (23) Ben Tasevac (UU) 6-3, 6-3
(3) Slim Hamza (UU) d. (22) Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
Singles consolation round 1
Jacob Sullivan (BYU) d. Alex Locci (NAU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
Bryan Cunningham (UNM) d. Nikki Rae (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
Juan Canales (BYU) bye
Sterling Galli (BYU) bye
Singles consolation round 2
Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) d. Jacob Sullivan (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
Juan Canales (BYU) d. Aidan Talcott (DU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) d. Caio Poitena (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
Sterling Galli (BYU) d. Sanjay Goswami (WSU)
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 37
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 34
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 29
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27