Westminster volleyball: Griffins defeat DSU as Kordakis sets digs record
DICKINSON, N.D. – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team defeated Dickinson State in four sets Thursday night in Frontier Conference action.
Westminster improves to 11-11 on the season and moves to 5-4 in the conference with the (25-13, 23-25, 25-15, 25-13) victory. The loss drops Dickinson State to 3-18 and 0-9.
The Griffins hit a season-best .333 on the night and finished with a 60-28 advantage in kills. They had 16 kills in each of the first three sets while hitting above .324 in all the frames. Westminster held DSU to .108 hitting and posted 59 digs and five blocks.
While Alexis Aalona had a big night with 11 kills and a season-high 20 digs, it was Kyndall Kordakis that used her 12 digs to become the Westminster all-time leader in that category. Kordakis now has 1,723 digs as a Griffin to sit atop the charts. Mayra Ramirez added 10 kills with Alyse Horton posting eight kills.
Melissa Avila led the Blue Hawks with 16 kills, and she hit .240. Natasha Malana finished with 21 digs.
Westminster will be back in action Saturday night when it plays at Rocky Mountain (Mont.). The match from the Fortin Center will begin at 7 p.m.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34