PROVO — Students at Timpview High School are hoping an outpouring of support for the family of some of their peers becomes a long-standing tradition.
Saturday, the student government plans to host a 5K run to help the family of Steven and Susan Clark, who were killed in an RV accident in St. George in May. The event will likely be held annually, helping different members of the community, said Cassidy Baker, student government adviser.
In its inaugural year, students wanted to use the event to help the Clark family after losing their parents, Baker said.
About 5:30 a.m. on May 24, a tire blew out on the Clarks' 40-foot RV, causing it to veer out of control, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. The vehicle left the highway and crashed through two condominium homes below, killing the Clarks on impact.
Eight passengers in the RV, extended and immediate family members, received minor injuries.
Two of the Clarks' six children, Anne and Autumn, attend Timpview High, and while they have been fairly reserved about the tragic event, "their loss has been felt by the whole school," Baker said.
Registration for the race begins at 7 a.m. Saturday at the event or is available online at the Run for the Clarks Facebook page. The race starts at 8 a.m. at the school's west parking lot, 3570 N. Timpview Drive. The cost is $10 for each participant, and all proceeds will go to the Clark family.
Baker said she is impressed with how the students have rallied together to help the Clarks. Timpview High had never organized a 5K but has held similar fundraising events, including raising $20,000 for local families during one holiday season. Students also participate in a canned food drive annually each November.
"I think it is more than the nice donation this family will receive, and more about how our love is shown for the Clark family at this time," Baker said.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Do Utah high school students need four years...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 133
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 58
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 24
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 14