High school football: Rich High Rebels cruise to victory over the Altamont Longhorns
RANDOLPH — The Rich High Rebels secured themselves the second seed in the 1A North division with a 41-14 win over the Altamont Longhorns.
Due to UEA, the Altamont football players had the day off from school. The Rich Rebels, however, walked straight out of the classroom to the field and went right to work.
Rebel running back Cache Sabey slipped through a gap created by fullback Ben Groll and lineman Dakota Clark and ran 53 yards for the score on the third play of the game. Joseph Leifson scored the 2nd touchdown for Rich as he went around the left end for 23 yards. Rich took a quick 14-0 lead. Less than two minutes into the second quarter, Groll muscled his way into the endzone to give Rich the lead at 21-0.
The Longhorns picked up a 40-yard run from tailback Rylee Foy down to the three yard line. Quarterback Dylan Lindsay found receiver Brady Farnsworth across the middle of the end zone with a short pass to put the score 21-7 midway through the 2nd quarter.
The Rebels answered back when Leifson duplicated his previous run, this time from 22 yards out, pushing the lead to 28-7. The Longhorns were forced to punt, and Sabey matched his partner’s run with a 23-yard score of his own. Rich went into halftime with a 35-7 lead.
If the Longhorns hoped to get off to a good start in the second half, the plan was spoiled. The kickoff was fumbled during the return, and Rebel Ryker Rex recovered it on the 15 yard line. The Rebels ran four plays, capped off by a McKay Jarman score from just a yard out.
With the 41-7 lead, the Rebels put things on cruise control and sailed to the win. The Longhorns used the classic hook and ladder play from 25 yards out to put up its second score on the night, but the result had long since been decided.
The Rebels (6-2) will host Diamond Ranch (5-3) for the final game of the regular season next Friday. Altamont (3-6) will host Duchesne (9-0).
Highlights of Rich High vs Altamont Longhorns
Highlights of 1A Utah North Division football game between the Rich High Rebels and Altamont Longhorns played in Randolph October 17th 2013
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 91
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 61
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 56
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24