Utah seeing resurgence of dangerous 'Molly' drug, thanks in part to pop culture references
Addicts who show up at clinics usually do not consider Molly to be their primary drug, Zidow said. But case workers remain highly concerned about the synthetic drug because of its potential to be a “gateway” to even more dangerous substances.
People who would not initially try hardcore drugs may be inclined to try them after using MDMA. “All of a sudden cocaine becomes an option for them, and they blur their boundaries,” Zidow said.
Vigos' worries have not waned over Molly, since her 18-year-old daughter is in the age range when Molly use is prevalent.
While she feels confident in her daughter’s abilities to refrain from taking the drug, she is well aware of the widespread availability. It’s important, she said, for parents to educate their children about the consequences of the drug.
“I think that we will see just like spaying and neutering your pets is helping to reduce a population, if you’re educated on how harmful drugs can be to your body, maybe you’ll make a better choice to not do them,” Vigos said.
Police say YouTube videos showing behavior after taking Molly and other drugs are prevalent, as are videos that show the health consequences of taking the drugs. They can also serve as a good education source and deterrent for curious teens, the narcotics detective said.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 33
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Local religious leaders urge support... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 13