Time with kids beats work — but it's more exhausting, parents say
Among other facts about European households, the report noted that women do most of the housework, even if they work full-time. The division of household labor is most equal in Nordic countries. The most helpful males when it comes to pitching in around the house are in Sweden, it said.
The 2010 breakdown used in the Pew report shows that dads are more likely to do household repairs and jobs like mowing the lawn and working on the car. They put in four hours a week on such endeavors, compared to mom's one. But mom racks up "many more housework hours in terms of cleaning, cooking and household management," Wang said. Moms spend 15 hours a week on those tasks, compared to dad's five.
Dads, according to the U.S. time-use study, have three hours more leisure time a week than moms, on average. "Dads actually use their additional three hours on TV-watching," said Wang.
As for work, dads spend significantly more hours each week in paid work than moms did, averaging a full-time 40 hours, compared to her 23 hours. Both moms and dads spend about two hours a week in recreational childcare activities.
The data is collected in a "time diary," a sequential look at activities and how long they took. Participants reported it in 17 major time-use categories, the report said, and it is then subdivided into more than 400 detailed sub-categories or episodes.
Next up, Wang said, she intends to look at parent activities over the course of the entire 24-hour day, including sleeping time and personal care time.
EMAIL: email@example.com, Twitter: Loisco
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 21
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned from Machu... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 1