Football is completely changing the lives of this young man with Asperger's Syndrome and his family for the better
Miracles elevate Salem Hills Skyhawks on and off the field
Though their record matched Springville’s at 6-1, the Skyhawks were very much the underdog. Salem Hills had never beaten nemesis Springville.
Then came the second half.
The Skyhawks clawed their way to victory by rattling off 35 unanswered points and showed just what they’re made of and why they are now 7-1.
The Skyhawks did all the great things that amazing teams do: cause and recover fumbles, make gutsy defensive stops, grab interceptions and turn them into touchdowns, make jaw-dropping catches on textbook throws, inspire each other and whip the crowd into a frenzied mob of believers.
For Jill, however, the most miraculous part of the game was not found in the stunning 35-27 finish or the spectacular plays that led to it. The real miracle was found in the emotional reactions of her son to it all. Sabin didn't catch a single pass, make one tackle or take one snap. In fact, he didn't play a single down. Nevertheless, he exploded with joy with his teammates.
That was the real miracle. That was the reason for her tears.
As for the deep love Sabin has developed for his new friends? Apparently it goes both ways. The Skyhawk football team is not afraid to show it in big, public, life-changing ways.
That was very evident when the bus full of jubilant Skyhawks pulled out of Springville’s parking lot that night and the victory chants began in earnest.
First it was “Vegas! Vegas!” for Jordan Taylor, who had two interceptions, including a pick-six deep in the fourth quarter to seal the deal.
Then the chanting turned into “Coach! Coach!” for Higginson, who sources say gave an unforgettable halftime speech about not giving up.
Finally, all eyes turned to Wilson and with a deafening roar, 48 voices spontaneously erupted in one last chant, “Sabin! Sabin! Sabin!”
That’s what true friends do.
Amberli Nelson contributes coverage of Salem Hills sports through Deseret Connect. Monica Gibb contributes photography of Salem Hills sports through Deseret Connect.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Utes get it done at home again
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 89
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 22