High school football: Stallions drill the Miners 42-7, clinch a first round bye
Charlie Haddon, Haddon Media
PARK CITY — It was a winner take all game in Park City, as the Stansbury Stallions traveled south to face the Miners. The two teams were tied atop the 3AA North Region, and the winner of this game would clinch home field advantage, and a first round bye in the playoffs. Stansbury dominated the game from the opening kick, winning 42-7.
"It was huge for us to clinch a bye," Mackay said. "We knew there was a chance we could slide down to fourth if we lost, so this win was very important."
Hudson Conrad put Stansbury up 7-0 when he found the end zone from 43 yards out, but Conrad would leave the game later with an injury. He was one of two key injuries the Stallions suffered on the night. Spencer Wihonghi also left due to a knee injury.
"You lose two kids tonight that you can't replace," said Stansbury coach Clint Christiansen. "We're going to have to have some kids step up big."
The Miners tied it up midway through the second quarter when Alec Wing hooked up with Dustin Landis for a 12 yard TD pass, but Park City wasn't able to get much done offensively for the rest of the evening.
Alex Mackay scored back to back touchdowns for the Stallions to put them up 21-7 in the third. Zayne Anderson added another score to push the lead to 28-7 midway through the third quarter.
Anderson filled in for the injured Conrad, and gave the Stallions a spark, rushing for over 100 yards and two scores on just three carries.
"Filling Hudson's shoes is not easy," Anderson said. "Our offensive line and our blocking on the outside was fantastic tonight."
Mackay finished off his monster night later in the third when he found the end zone for the third time, and gave the Stallions a 35-7 lead heading to the fourth.
Anderson scored on an 85 yard burst on the first play of the fourth quarter, and the Stallions called it a night and brought in the JV not too long after.
Stansbury has one final tune up for the playoffs next week against Mountain View, and Park City will face Juan Diego in their final game before the playoffs.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a Stansbury High School graduate. After serving an LDS Mission to the Dominican Republic, CJ will attend Southern Utah University. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113.
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- High school boys basketball: Top-ranked...
- High school sports: Winter sports Academic...
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- High school sports: Preps of the week
- 1A boys basketball: Diamond Ranch downs...
- 1A boys basketball: Telos slips by Monument...
- High school boys basketball: Pine View wins...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup:... 10
- High school boys basketball: Kearns... 5
- Layton steps up big late to secure a... 5
- High school boys basketball: Pine View... 4
- High school boys basketball: Top-ranked... 3
- High school basketball tournaments:... 2
- High school boys basketball: Dixie uses... 2
- 3A boys state tournament roundup: Pine... 1