Jazz report card: Utah falls to Trail Blazers 99-92 on Wednesday night in Salt Lake City
The Utah Jazz fell to the Portland Trail Blazers 99-92 on Wednesday night in Salt Lake City.
Despite not having Trey Burke, the Jazz guards showed energy and were eager to attack the basket in Wednesday's loss. Initially showing a C+ performance with structure and talent, their raw hustle bumped their performance to a B- level.
The valedictorian of the forwards in Wednesday's game was Gordon Hayward. Hayward moved well with and without the ball and showed confidence as a leader and decision-maker. Hayward finished with 20 points and seven assists. Overall grade for the forwards: B+, thanks to some extra credit from Hayward.
As for the Jazz centers, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter had a combined 33 points and impressive stat line but were missing open jumpers from 10-15 feet. Their footwork showed improvement, but both centers are still showing hesitation offensively. Overall grade: A-
This may come as a surprise to many, but the Jazz coaching staff shouldn’t be critiqued too heavily tonight. Considering the talent pool available, the coaches stayed under the criticism radar because they did the best with what they had. Overall grade: A
The officials Wednesday had to shake off some dust. They earned a C+ grade for missing several calls in both directions and being indecisive on myriad calls.
As a team, Portland showed agility in guard play and didn’t lack down low with LaMarcus Aldridge. The Trail Blazers got easy points at the rim from executing the pick ’n’ roll throughout the game. Overall grade: B+
Bobby Macey is a social media guru and marketing/PR specialist by day. By night, a writer for Deseretnews.com covering the Utah Jazz. Follow him on Twitter @Bobmacey and @utjazznation
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 33
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20