Jazz report card: Utah falls to Trail Blazers 99-92 on Wednesday night in Salt Lake City
The Utah Jazz fell to the Portland Trail Blazers 99-92 on Wednesday night in Salt Lake City.
Despite not having Trey Burke, the Jazz guards showed energy and were eager to attack the basket in Wednesday's loss. Initially showing a C+ performance with structure and talent, their raw hustle bumped their performance to a B- level.
The valedictorian of the forwards in Wednesday's game was Gordon Hayward. Hayward moved well with and without the ball and showed confidence as a leader and decision-maker. Hayward finished with 20 points and seven assists. Overall grade for the forwards: B+, thanks to some extra credit from Hayward.
As for the Jazz centers, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter had a combined 33 points and impressive stat line but were missing open jumpers from 10-15 feet. Their footwork showed improvement, but both centers are still showing hesitation offensively. Overall grade: A-
This may come as a surprise to many, but the Jazz coaching staff shouldn’t be critiqued too heavily tonight. Considering the talent pool available, the coaches stayed under the criticism radar because they did the best with what they had. Overall grade: A
The officials Wednesday had to shake off some dust. They earned a C+ grade for missing several calls in both directions and being indecisive on myriad calls.
As a team, Portland showed agility in guard play and didn’t lack down low with LaMarcus Aldridge. The Trail Blazers got easy points at the rim from executing the pick ’n’ roll throughout the game. Overall grade: B+
Bobby Macey is a social media guru and marketing/PR specialist by day. By night, a writer for Deseretnews.com covering the Utah Jazz. Follow him on Twitter @Bobmacey and @utjazznation
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 148
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27