Jazz report card: Utah falls to Trail Blazers 99-92 on Wednesday night in Salt Lake City
The Utah Jazz fell to the Portland Trail Blazers 99-92 on Wednesday night in Salt Lake City.
Despite not having Trey Burke, the Jazz guards showed energy and were eager to attack the basket in Wednesday's loss. Initially showing a C+ performance with structure and talent, their raw hustle bumped their performance to a B- level.
The valedictorian of the forwards in Wednesday's game was Gordon Hayward. Hayward moved well with and without the ball and showed confidence as a leader and decision-maker. Hayward finished with 20 points and seven assists. Overall grade for the forwards: B+, thanks to some extra credit from Hayward.
As for the Jazz centers, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter had a combined 33 points and impressive stat line but were missing open jumpers from 10-15 feet. Their footwork showed improvement, but both centers are still showing hesitation offensively. Overall grade: A-
This may come as a surprise to many, but the Jazz coaching staff shouldn’t be critiqued too heavily tonight. Considering the talent pool available, the coaches stayed under the criticism radar because they did the best with what they had. Overall grade: A
The officials Wednesday had to shake off some dust. They earned a C+ grade for missing several calls in both directions and being indecisive on myriad calls.
As a team, Portland showed agility in guard play and didn’t lack down low with LaMarcus Aldridge. The Trail Blazers got easy points at the rim from executing the pick ’n’ roll throughout the game. Overall grade: B+
Bobby Macey is a social media guru and marketing/PR specialist by day. By night, a writer for Deseretnews.com covering the Utah Jazz. Follow him on Twitter @Bobmacey and @utjazznation
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- 3A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman signs 2-year...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 49
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29