Kyle Van Noy, Andy Phillips earn mid-season All-American honors from various sources
"Another do-it-all linebacker, Van Noy has performed well against quality competition (Texas, Georgia Tech) during his senior campaign," the Fox Sports South staff wrote. "With 9.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, one interception, four pass breakups and seven QB hurries, the 6-foot-3 athlete is making his presence felt. He's logged at least one tackle for loss in every game this season."
Likewise, Fox Sports South also complimented Phillips' remarkable first half of the season: "The Utes needed the freshman to come through in a big way during their upset of Stanford, and he's yet to miss his mark. Phillips is a perfect 11-of-11, including 4-for-4 from 40 yards or more, and 27-of-27 on extra points (not necessarily a given at this level)."
Both players have had solid seasons going into the second half. Van Noy has 40 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four sacks, 10 quarterback hurries, four pass breakups, an interception returned for a touchdown and a safety. Phillips hasn't missed a kick yet this year with 27 PATs and 11 field goals, including a 48-yard kick.
Little wonder both players have earned national acclaim.
BYU, Utah and USU have or will play several others who made these same lists, including Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr, Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon and Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks. In total, in-state teams will face 16 out-of-state All-Americans that made at least one of the above-mentioned lists.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 63
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28