Kyle Van Noy, Andy Phillips earn mid-season All-American honors from various sources
"Another do-it-all linebacker, Van Noy has performed well against quality competition (Texas, Georgia Tech) during his senior campaign," the Fox Sports South staff wrote. "With 9.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, one interception, four pass breakups and seven QB hurries, the 6-foot-3 athlete is making his presence felt. He's logged at least one tackle for loss in every game this season."
Likewise, Fox Sports South also complimented Phillips' remarkable first half of the season: "The Utes needed the freshman to come through in a big way during their upset of Stanford, and he's yet to miss his mark. Phillips is a perfect 11-of-11, including 4-for-4 from 40 yards or more, and 27-of-27 on extra points (not necessarily a given at this level)."
Both players have had solid seasons going into the second half. Van Noy has 40 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four sacks, 10 quarterback hurries, four pass breakups, an interception returned for a touchdown and a safety. Phillips hasn't missed a kick yet this year with 27 PATs and 11 field goals, including a 48-yard kick.
Little wonder both players have earned national acclaim.
BYU, Utah and USU have or will play several others who made these same lists, including Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr, Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon and Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks. In total, in-state teams will face 16 out-of-state All-Americans that made at least one of the above-mentioned lists.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21