VERNAL — A Vernal man and a teenage boy are expected to face charges after a violent confrontation between the pair landed the man in the hospital and the teen in a juvenile detention center.
Officers were called to a house near 250 E. 100 North about 9 p.m. Tuesday on a noise complaint, Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell said.
Inside the house they found Ryan Black suffering from "severe" slash wounds to his face, Campbell said. Black, 42, was flown to a Salt Lake hospital for treatment.
"The injury was potentially life-threatening," Campbell said. "The reconstruction and recovery will be extensive."
Investigators were able to determine that Black and the teen had been drinking alcohol in the home when an argument began. During the argument, Black hit the boy in the head with nunchucks, causing a laceration, the assistant chief said.
The teen picked up a large knife, slashed Black's face and left the house before officers arrived, according to investigators. Police searched the area, found the teen and booked him into the Split Mountain Youth Detention Center.
Authorities said Black and the teen are not related, but would not specify how they know each other.
The youth is expected to be referred to juvenile court on allegations of aggravated assault, obstructing justice, disorderly conduct and illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor, Campbell said.
Black is also expected to face charges when the investigation is complete, the assistant chief said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Martin MacNeill hospitalized after suicide...
- Former Attorney General John Swallow left...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 104
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 32
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 19