PROVO — A Wyoming man was killed Tuesday night when he was hit by a car after stopping to change a flat tire in Provo Canyon.
Police identified the man as Joseph Broadbent, 74, of Evanston.
Broadbent, who was driving a pickup truck and pulling a trailer behind, pulled over to the right side of the road to change a flat tire around 8:30 pm. Tuesday, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson. The vehicle was facing east on U.S. 189.
He had crossed the road for unknown reasons and a witness saw him begin walking across the highway to return to the truck, Johnson said. Broadbent stopped between lanes of traffic and was struck by the driver's side of a vehicle. The impact propelled Broadbent into the next lane of traffic, where he received fatal injuries after he was run over by a small pickup truck, according to the UHP.
— Whitney Evans
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9