TE Matt Bushman on commit to BYU: 'I've always wanted to play there growing up'
TUCSON, Ariz. — Tight end Matt Bushman announced his commitment to BYU earlier the week in a press conference held at Sabino High School.
The 6-foot-6, 215-pound prospect considered offers from such schools as Arizona, Utah, Colorado and San Diego State, among others, but ultimately rested on the Cougars.
“I love the atmosphere at BYU and I’ve always wanted to play there growing up,” Bushman said. “My parents both went to BYU, my grandparents went there, my cousin (Quinn Gooch) played there and all had great experiences. I want that same type of experience at BYU that all of them had.”
Cougar coaches offered Bushman a scholarship midway through his junior season after viewing some of his film compiled that season.
“He’s simply exceptional in his ability to run great routes and simply make plays,” said Sabino coach Jay Campos. “He’s going to break every receiving record we have here, and he’s truly one of the finest kids I’ve ever coached with how he conducts himself on and off the football field.”
Bushman already has 40 receptions this season for 992 yards and 16 touchdowns.
Bushman is a member of the LDS Church and has plans to serve a mission immediately upon graduating after this school year. Upon returning from his mission he’ll endeavor to play both football and baseball at BYU.
“I’ve talked to coaches a lot about it and the first year it will be just football before joining the baseball team,” he explained. “I know it will be a challenge to play both, but it’s something I’m determined to do, so we’ll see how it goes.”
Bushman bats well above .400 for his high school team and is excited to be part of BYU’s rising baseball program.
“For a long time football was my main sport, but I’ve really improved at baseball and really like the opportunities for me there,” Bushman said. “I’m thankful to BYU coaches and their willingness to play both sports while I’m there.”
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47