Utah football notes: Whittingham reaches milestone against Stanford with 75th victory
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham didn’t realize he had reached a coaching milestone until he was munching on a Double-Double at an In-N-Out Burger after Saturday’s 27-21 win over fifth-ranked Stanford.
The victory was his 75th as head coach of the Utes.
“I didn't know that until we were at In-N-Out and did have a Double-Double,” Whittingham said at his weekly press conference on Monday. “One of my brothers mentioned that. I had no idea.”
At 75-34 overall, Whittingham (who began his tenure as co-head coach of the 2005 Fiesta Bowl squad with Urban Meyer) has the third-most wins in program history — trailing only Ike Armstrong (141 victories, 1925-49) and Ron McBride (88 victories, 1990-2002), but well ahead of fourth-place Jack Curtice (45 victories, 1950-57).
HE LOVES IT: Besides leading the Utes with 111 yards rushing against Stanford, sophomore running back Bubba Poole also had a team-high seven receptions. Getting out there, catching the ball in the field and trying to make plays is something the running back really enjoys.
“I love that,” said Poole, who finished with 75 yards receiving.
TOUGH GUY: When a reporter jokingly asked Utah quarterback Travis Wilson if a pit bull had gotten to his bruised and battered arm, the sophomore didn’t bite back.
“I’m feeling good, just a couple of cuts and stuff like that,” Wilson said. “It’s all good.”
GOOD WEEK: Whittingham said practices Tuesday and Wednesday have been really productive.
"We've had two good days," he noted. "We've still got two work days left but so far, so good."
EXTRA POINTS: Utah netted 47 points in this week's Associated Press Top 25, ranking among others receiving votes for the first time since 2010. ... As far as an injury update from the Stanford game, Whittingham didn't have much to say. "We're good," was all he told reporters. ... Whittingham has been named Midseason Pac-12 Coach of the Year by Athlon Sports.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29