Utah Jazz: Injury situation opens door for point guards like Scott Machado
Though Lucas only has two starts in the first five seasons of his NBA career, his new coach has confidence in the gritty 30-year-old. The Jazz like that Lucas can pop from the outside, lead teammates and make an offense flow.
“He knows what he’s getting ready to face. He understands that if he starts or come off the bench, he’ll be ready to go,” Corbin said of Lucas. “He’s been really good in practices. He’s been really good in the games for us. He’s looking forward to his opportunity. (Monday) in practice, I thought that he was one of the more energetic guys, one of the more vocal guys that made the right plays for his team."
Machado, who went undrafted in 2012, believes that applies to him, too.
“I feel like I know how to lead a team,” he said. “I know how to help teams get a good shot, just be like a leader on the court, just be a floor general, try to run the team as good as I possibly can.”
Machado, who ranks 17th on the NCAA’s assist list, also knows how to smile when reminded about a certain 78-72 loss to a school that’s now in his neck of the woods.
Now the 2012 MAAC player of the year hopes to give Beehive State basketball fans another reason to remember him.
He knows that opportunity’s there more than it was before Burke was injured Saturday. That’s just the cruel way of the NBA.
“Once I get that chance, I feel like I can show what I can do,” he said. “It’s excitement really.”
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 88
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20