BYU golf: Cougars finished tied for fourth at MacKenzie Invitational
SONOMA, Calif. — Joe Parkinson finished 2-under-par 70 in the final round to lead the BYU men's golf team to a fourth place finish at the MacKenzie Invitational on Tuesday.
"After a great round yesterday, I hoped that would give us confidence today," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We had a chance and started out great in the beginning and I think fourth place is a respectable finish."
The Cougars tied in fourth place after the final round with Arizona State at 13-under-par and remained in the leader group. University of California, Berkeley, finished on top at 39-under-par followed by University of California, Davis, at 17-under-par and Oregon at 14-under-par.
Parkinson, who's been consistent all year, tied for seventh place at 8-under-par and a team-best score of 70 in the final round. He also finished with four birdies, including two in the last three holes, in the third round.
"The way the team finished yesterday was really good for us," Parkinson said. "It gave us good motivation going into the day and we brought that momentum into the round. I've just been able to play good golf and have been more mentally focused. I'm just trying to do everything I can to get better personally and to help my team."
Senior Jordan Hammer completed the tournament at 4-under-par to tie in 12th place and also added an eagle on the 11th hole of the final round. Justin Keiley and Mike Jurca tied in 34th place to finish at 1-over-par, while Stephen Archibald tied for 64th place at 9-over-par to finish out the day.
Brockbank was proud of the team's second round scores as four of five players scored in the 60's and hopes to finish stronger in the final rounds of the upcoming tournaments.
BYU returns to action on Oct. 31-Nov. 2 for the Pacific Invitational in Stockton, Calif. Live stats can be followed on Golfstat's website.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21