BYU golf: Cougars finished tied for fourth at MacKenzie Invitational
SONOMA, Calif. — Joe Parkinson finished 2-under-par 70 in the final round to lead the BYU men's golf team to a fourth place finish at the MacKenzie Invitational on Tuesday.
"After a great round yesterday, I hoped that would give us confidence today," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We had a chance and started out great in the beginning and I think fourth place is a respectable finish."
The Cougars tied in fourth place after the final round with Arizona State at 13-under-par and remained in the leader group. University of California, Berkeley, finished on top at 39-under-par followed by University of California, Davis, at 17-under-par and Oregon at 14-under-par.
Parkinson, who's been consistent all year, tied for seventh place at 8-under-par and a team-best score of 70 in the final round. He also finished with four birdies, including two in the last three holes, in the third round.
"The way the team finished yesterday was really good for us," Parkinson said. "It gave us good motivation going into the day and we brought that momentum into the round. I've just been able to play good golf and have been more mentally focused. I'm just trying to do everything I can to get better personally and to help my team."
Senior Jordan Hammer completed the tournament at 4-under-par to tie in 12th place and also added an eagle on the 11th hole of the final round. Justin Keiley and Mike Jurca tied in 34th place to finish at 1-over-par, while Stephen Archibald tied for 64th place at 9-over-par to finish out the day.
Brockbank was proud of the team's second round scores as four of five players scored in the 60's and hopes to finish stronger in the final rounds of the upcoming tournaments.
BYU returns to action on Oct. 31-Nov. 2 for the Pacific Invitational in Stockton, Calif. Live stats can be followed on Golfstat's website.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play for...
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play... 4