Book review: '250 Great Movies for Latter-day Families' provides values-based guide for viewing
Drawing on his love of the gospel and his love of film, movie critic Jonathan Decker has created a useful, family-friendly movie guide in "250 Great Movies for Latter-day Families."
It’s a one-stop resource of 250 timeless films, including current films, memorable classics and some worthy films that may have been missed over the years.
Although Decker considers artistry and content when recommending films, he says he’s more interested in finding movies which draw us nearer to the Lord. To that end, this user-friendly guide lists films alphabetically, by title, with the parental guidance rating, the year it came out, an overview of the story, a grade, a content overview and messages to discuss, including scripture references.
Additional indexes are included to enable searching for films by genre, rating, gospel topic (such as “repentance”), scripture, hymn or general authority cited.
Despite having selected movies he feels are appropriate for Mormon families, Decker still includes content overviews which may contain warnings of anything that may be considered graphic, such as the bloody and infected leg wound shown in the film "Treasure in Heaven: The John Tanner Story."
Decker, an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is a licensed marriage and family therapist based in St. George. He also co-hosts the "The KJZZ Movie Show" on KJZZ-TV and is a columnist for Meridian Magazine. He posts Hollywood film reviews from a Latter-day Saint perspective at mormonmovieguy.com.
"250 Great Movies for Latter-day Families" appears to be a useful guide for finding values-based movies.
Stephanie Abney, eternal optimist, retired school teacher and freelance writer, lives in Mesa, Ariz., with her husband, Jim. They have five children and 18 grandchildren. Email is firstname.lastname@example.org and she blogs at stephaniesaysso.blogspot.com.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 100
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 84
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 56
- When Satan steals your motherhood 44
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 14