Book review: ‘Leonard Maltin’s 2014 Movie Guide: The Modern Era' is chock-full of information
"LEONARD MALTIN'S 2014 MOVIE GUIDE: The Modern Era," edited by Leonard Maltin, Plume, $25, 1,644 pages (nf)
Leonard Maltin is well aware that we live in the Internet-information age. However, he also understands the difficulties regarding validating the information found on the Web. Because of this, he continues to research thousands of movies and compile the most accurate information in his movie guide.
His latest, “Leonard Maltin’s 2014 Movie Guide: The Modern Era,” is no exception. With more than 1,600 pages regarding more than 15,000 movies, it is possible this book offers more information than most readers will ever need.
Along with a brief synopsis for each movie, Maltin’s guide uses symbols to list the different formats movies can be found in: videocassette, laserdisc and DVD/Blu-Ray. Movies are rated as high as four stars and as low as one and a half stars. A few, truly terrible movies, are rated as BOMBs.
Movie listings give the year films were first available, their length and if they are in color. Each movie also lists its director and prominent actors. While this book contains information on many older, classic movies, its emphasis is on recent films. References to its companion volume, “Leonard Maltin’s Classic Movie Guide,” are listed for older films.
Due to continual formatting changes since movies have been produced, Maltin notes any unique screen ratios. Also, for those interested in purchasing or renting movies, a list of more than 25 reputable Internet stores is given.
Maltin has published comprehensive movie guides since 1969. A film critic with many awards and titles, he lives in New York City with his wife.
Elizabeth Reid has bachelor's degrees in economics and history. She has worked in retail, medical billing, catering, education and business fields. Her favorite occupation is that of wife and mother. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Suspenseful 'Maze Runner' dodges limitations...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Sherry Young: The world is indeed a glorious...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2