GOSHEN, Utah County — A house fire that started with a TV dinner being heated in a microwave caused about $120,000 damage and left a mother and her young daughter homeless.
On Monday, a 22-year-old mother had placed a frozen dinner in her microwave and then walked away to another room, said Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Tom Hodgson. A short time later she heard her smoke detectors going off.
The mother grabbed her 1-year-old daughter and ran out of the house. Neighbors helped move some of her cars away from the home in an effort to save them, Hodgson said.
Fire crews from Goshen, Genola and Santaquin responded to scene. Smoke and flames were visible on the exterior of the modular home by the time they arrived. The home was considered a total loss, he said.
The cause of the fire was still under investigation, Hodgson said, but he assumed the mother did not remove the foil from the TV dinner.
The mother and daughter stayed Monday night with relatives.
— Pat Reavy
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Utah defends anti-polygamy law, saying it...
- Families protest at final prison relocation...
- State parks of Utah: Northern region
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 52
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Families protest at final prison... 29
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat... 19
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 18
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Watchdog group accuses Utah lawmaker of... 15