BYU golf: Parkinson sits in sixth, BYU in fourth after day one
SONOMA, Calif. — The No. 46 BYU men's golf team finished in fourth place after two rounds at the MacKenzie Invitational on Monday.
"We started well today in the morning and we just kept battling the whole day and things happened really well for us in the end," BYU men's golf head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We just finished really strong and we were able to close with a low score."
BYU bounced back from the first round after being in ninth place at 1-over-par to finishing in fourth at 12-under-par. No. 4 University of California, Berkeley, finished on top at 35-under-par with Oregon and No. 21 Arizona State at 14-under-par.
Sophomore Joe Parkinson led the way for the Cougars, finishing tied in sixth place at 6-under-par after two rounds. Parkinson, also hitting a team-low 67 in the second round, finished with eight birdies and an eagle.
"Joe has carried us all year," Brockbank said. "He bounced back in the second round and I'm proud of him."
Senior Jordan Hammer finished in 11th place at 5-under-par including 11 birdies for the day.
"Jordan has been playing really well for us," Brockbank said. "He's just been great and he worked really hard this summer and it's nice to see that in his game."
Junior Mike Jurca hit a 69 in the second round to finish at 2-under-par. Justin Keiley finished tied in 35th place at 1-over-par with an eagle in the second round, while Stephen Archibald tied in 73rd place at 9-over-par.
"The way the guys hung in there today was impressive," Brockbank said. "You have to hand it to the guys and we're going to try and have another round like our second round tomorrow."
The Cougars return to Sonoma Golf Club on Tuesday with tee times beginning at 8:15 a.m. PST. Live stats for the final round can be followed on Golfstat's website.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 100
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 48
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 37
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 33