Utah Jazz: Trey Burke's surgery leaves Jazz short-handed at point guard
One player who won’t be brought in this season: Raul Neto. The Jazz point guard, picked up in a draft-day trade with Atlanta, is committed to playing for a Spanish pro team and is unlikely to be bought out of that contract for multiple reasons, Lindsey said.
The Jazz lost a potential point guard candidate before camp started when Jerel McNeal, signed last season out of the D-League, opted to play in China instead of trying to make Utah’s roster.
It’s possible the Jazz could just stick with Lucas and Machado and use shooting guard Alec Burks when needed.
“We’ll let their play and level kind of dictate decisions going forward,” Lindsey said. “Anybody we could add, they would be in competition for a spot and a role with Scott and Lester.”
Burks said time spent training with John Stockton this offseason could help him if he needs to fill in at the point.
How about an older veteran like former Jazzman Jamaal Tinsley?
The Jazz know he’s available, but Lindsey gave an expected no comment. Corbin did mention that some available free agents’ price tag is too high for the Jazz.
In the meantime, the team that's more focused on developing its young core than fretting about win totals in 2013-14 will forge forward with 30-year-old Lucas at the point guard helm.
“We think there’s a fine line of understanding where the program’s headed with our youth movement,” Lindsey said, “but also being good enough and competitive enough when things like this happen to be able to play and stabilize our basketball team.”
Editor's note: Utah Jazz rookie Trey Burke's agent/father, Benji Burke, did not share information regarding the point guard's surgery nor did he give an anticipated return timetable of 8-12 weeks, as the Deseret News reported. The Deseret News regrets the error and inadvertent attribution.
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 119
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 46
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 19
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14