Utah Jazz: Trey Burke's surgery leaves Jazz short-handed at point guard
One player who won’t be brought in this season: Raul Neto. The Jazz point guard, picked up in a draft-day trade with Atlanta, is committed to playing for a Spanish pro team and is unlikely to be bought out of that contract for multiple reasons, Lindsey said.
The Jazz lost a potential point guard candidate before camp started when Jerel McNeal, signed last season out of the D-League, opted to play in China instead of trying to make Utah’s roster.
It’s possible the Jazz could just stick with Lucas and Machado and use shooting guard Alec Burks when needed.
“We’ll let their play and level kind of dictate decisions going forward,” Lindsey said. “Anybody we could add, they would be in competition for a spot and a role with Scott and Lester.”
Burks said time spent training with John Stockton this offseason could help him if he needs to fill in at the point.
How about an older veteran like former Jazzman Jamaal Tinsley?
The Jazz know he’s available, but Lindsey gave an expected no comment. Corbin did mention that some available free agents’ price tag is too high for the Jazz.
In the meantime, the team that's more focused on developing its young core than fretting about win totals in 2013-14 will forge forward with 30-year-old Lucas at the point guard helm.
“We think there’s a fine line of understanding where the program’s headed with our youth movement,” Lindsey said, “but also being good enough and competitive enough when things like this happen to be able to play and stabilize our basketball team.”
Editor's note: Utah Jazz rookie Trey Burke's agent/father, Benji Burke, did not share information regarding the point guard's surgery nor did he give an anticipated return timetable of 8-12 weeks, as the Deseret News reported. The Deseret News regrets the error and inadvertent attribution.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 137
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 58
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 47