Couples don't spend money only as they welcome babies into their lives. It begins much earlier for many with spending on conception, a new survey says.
According to Sharon Jayson in USA Today, many young couples spend hundreds and even thousands on "fertility-inducing products and services designed to speed up the process."
Wrote BabyCenter.com's Carolyn Robertson, regarding the 1,289 women it surveyed for its annual report, the 2013 Cost of Raising a Child, "Over half revealed that they’d purchased products or services to help them conceive, ranging from vitamin supplements to ovulation kits to in vitro fertilization. The average costs of these interventions was $465, though 26 percent of respondents reported spending $2,000 or more out-of-pocket in hopes of boosting their chances of getting pregnant."
More than a quarter said they got financial assistance from parents or in-laws either during the pregnancy or the first part of baby's life, while 1 in 10 actually lived with their parents to save the money they'd need to start a family of their own.
While researchers found it took most women less than six months to get pregnant, they did note that 16 percent said it took them a year or more to conceive, including 4 percent who said it took five years or more.
The report noted that the average cost of the birth of a child before insurance was around $7,800, while out-of-pocket expenses averaged not quite $900.
In August, the U.S. Department of Agriculture broke down the numbers, finding that the 1012 price tag — $241,080 in 2012 dollars or an inflation-adjusted $301,970 by the time adulthood arrives — includes food, shelter and other necessities associated with child rearing for 17 years. College is an expensive add-on not included in its annual reckoning.
The USDA got its numbers from the federal Consumer Expenditure Survey.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: Loisco
- Harry Potter trivia quiz: Can you get 10...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all... 20
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 13
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Leaving your child alone in public?... 5
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform... 5
- Wright Words: Why I’m sorry for... 5