Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Trey Burke news got worse over the weekend.
The Utah Jazz's rookie point guard will have surgery to repair fractured bone in his broken right index finger, the team announced Monday morning. The surgery will take place Tuesday in Salt Lake City.
The Jazz begin their 2013-14 season on Oct. 30, and that timeline would have Burke return somewhere between Dec. 9 and Jan. 6. That could leave the Jazz's starting point guard sidelined anywhere from 22 to 36 games.
Initially, Burke's camp hoped the 20-year-old would return after three weeks.
"It’s unfortunate," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "It’s part of the business getting hurt and seeing how he responds."
Veteran John Lucas III will handle the starting playmaker duties in Burke's absence, but the Jazz only have roster hopefuls Scott Machado and Lester Hudson on the point-guard depth chart.
The Jazz will explore other options as far as looking into trades and evaluating potential free-agent point guards.
Editor's note: Utah Jazz rookie Trey Burke's agent/father, Benji Burke, did not share information regarding the point guard's surgery nor did he give an anticipated return timetable of 8-12 weeks, as the Deseret News reported. The Deseret News regrets the error and inadvertent attribution.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47