Utah football: One day later, Utes savoring victory over highly ranked Stanford
“We had the feeling he was going to come back and play like he did tonight,” Whittingham said. “He was able to put that one behind them.”
All in all, the Utes left the field quite happy. The reasons were plentiful. Whittingham acknowledged that it was very gratifying to get a win against a fifth-ranked team like Stanford that has been playing so well.
“I think we’ve proved that we can stand toe-to-toe with the teams in this conference — the quality teams in this conference, the upper-echelon teams in this conference — and slug it out,” said Whittingham, who called it a “good night” while adding how happy and proud he was for his players.
Wide receiver Dres Anderson expressed his gratitude for the fans who stormed the field after the game.
“It’s just great to see how much our fans love us and how everybody appreciates our hard work,” Anderson said.
Reilly considered it a little redemption for a 47-7 loss to fourth-ranked TCU at Rice-Eccles Stadium in 2010. He added that it feels great and noted that it was the team’s first big Pac-12 win.
As for the postgame gathering with fans on the turf, Reilly said he was “waving them on.”
After opening the season with five of six games at home and no trips outside the state of Utah, the Utes visit Arizona this Saturday and USC the following week.
“This win was very exciting,” Wilson said. “We’ve just got to keep building off this momentum.”
EXTRA POINTS: Utah has prevailed in 49 straight games when leading at halftime. ... Anderson had a team-high 82 yards receiving. ... Cornerback Davion Orphey was credited with two pass breakups. Safety Michael Walker had one. ... Tom Hackett averaged 44.6 yards on five punts, pinning three inside the 20. ... Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com is projecting a Utah-Wyoming matchup in the New Mexico Bowl. ... The Pac-12 Networks is re-airing the Utah-Stanford game Tuesday at 6 p.m. A 60-minute version can be seen Monday at 11 p.m.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Hoffman, Collie or Doughty: Which local...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 107
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 36
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 35
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 19
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 18