Utah Jazz: Injured rookie point guard Trey Burke could miss three weeks — or more
“It’s really hard to explain where it’s at,” he said, “because pretty much my whole finger is hurting right now.”
The Jazz have two NBA hopeful point guards on their preseason roster, including former Iona star Scott Machado, who’s been Utah’s third point guard off the bench in all three games so far. The 6-1 guard was waived after making six regular-season appearances in Houston last year. He then got picked up by Golden State and saw playing time in five playoff games last spring.
Tennessee-Martin product Lester Hudson, who’s played for four NBA teams since 2009, is the other point guard on the roster.
The Jazz are also exploring options — from possible trades to free agent signings — to shore up the point guard depth chart.
Burke’s injury gave Corbin a flashback to the beginning of his NBA career with the San Antonio Spurs in 1985. His debut was delayed after he twisted his knee in the exhibition season.
“It will throw you for a loop, but he can learn by watching,” Corbin said of Burke. “We’ll see where it goes and how fast we can get him back on the floor. There are other ways to learn.”
Jokingly asked how his left-handed shot is, Burke cracked a grin and replied, “I rely on my right more.” He’s also going to rely on remaining in a good frame of mind while he’s out.
“Obviously, I’ve never dealt with an injury like this,” Burke said. “It’s kind of new to me. I’m just trying to stay as positive as possible.”
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- High school track: Orem boys, Millard girls...
- Boxing champ Gene Fullmer: An ordinary family...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Utahns in baseball: Ex-Utah pitcher Tyler...
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 166
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 83
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 45
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 39
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 37
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 37
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 32