Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — We've reached the midpoint of the 2013 college football season.
With local schools having played at least half of their games, it’s a good time to give out midterm grades for those schools and project the second half of the season.
To be 4-2 and receiving a bunch of votes in the latest AP poll thanks to a win over then No. 5 Stanford is certainly better than most people anticipated at this point. Utah's offense is much-improved, thanks to a more mature Travis Wilson, the unforeseen productivity of running back Bubba Poole, a solid offensive line and the influence of co-offensive coordinator Dennis Erickson. Then there’s a defense that gets better by the week and a never-miss kicker in Andy Phillips. Two losses, one in overtime and the other by a touchdown, keep the Utes from getting an A.
UP NEXT: UTAH'S OUTLOOK
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34