Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WOODS CROSS — A woman attempting to evade police Sunday morning crashed into a train and then was hit by a second train.
Police received a call around 8:20 a.m. about an unwanted guest in the area of 2300 South and Redwood Road, said Woods Cross police detective Adam Osoro. A patrolman located and attempted to stop the vehicle of a woman involved who was leaving the residence.
The 29-year-old driver failed to yield to officers. A brief pursuit ensued on 2600 South, where the woman's vehicle struck a Union Pacific train that was crossing the road at 1050 West, Osoro said.
The vehicle was struck by a second train while officers attempted to get the 29-year-old out of her car, police said. Rescue personnel responded and extricated the woman from her car, which sustained heavy damage.
She was taken by ambulance to University of Utah Hospital, where she was treated for injuries that were not life-threatening, including a broken arm, Osoro said.
Police are investigating the altercation at the residence. Witnesses at the scene said alcohol was involved, but it’s still not clear whether the woman was under the influence of alcohol.
The 29-year-old woman was arrested for investigation of evasion of police and other possible charges, Osoro said.
— Madeleine Brown
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 112
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 54
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16