Depending on how long Burke’s recovery will last, the Jazz could be forced to look elsewhere for point guard depth. Former Iona standout Scott Machado has been the third point guard in the preseason, but he’s with the team on a nonguaranteed contract.
The Jazz, Corbin pointed out, used Burks, a natural shooting guard, as a playmaker at times last season. Who knows, perhaps the team could even look to bring back free agent playmaker Jamaal Tinsley. Utah has a fourth point guard on its 20-deep roster in late camp addition Lester Hudson, who’s seen limited time so far.
“We’ll put our heads together (Sunday),” Corbin said.
The Jazz were trailing 17-11 when Burke was injured.
Things quickly unraveled for the home team, which lost a blowout against a superior Western Conference team with a star point guard in consecutive nights following Friday’s 96-86 setback to Portland in Boise.
The Clippers hit for a blistering 55.1 percent compared to the Jazz’s 36.1 percent shooting night.
The much-anticipated starting lineup struggled for the most part, with Favors only scoring two points on 1-for-7 shooting, Hayward missing 8 of 12 shots, Kanter scoring just four with six boards and Burke going 1 for 6 for two points with four assists. Burks was the top scoring starter with 12 points, while Richard Jefferson topped the team with 13 points.
Clipper backup big man Byron Mullens led all scorers with 15 points. BYU product Brandon Davies also gave L.A. a boost off the bench with nine points on three 3-pointers.
All of that, of course, was insignificant compared to Burke's injury situation.
"It’s the NBA. You’ve got to adjust," Corbin said. "We’re working a lot things out, and we knew we’d have to. This is another obstacle for us and we’ll put our heads together and see what we have, where we go from here."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34