Utah Jazz suffer big loss as rookie Trey Burke breaks finger on shooting hand
Depending on how long Burke’s recovery will last, the Jazz could be forced to look elsewhere for point guard depth. Former Iona standout Scott Machado has been the third point guard in the preseason, but he’s with the team on a nonguaranteed contract.
The Jazz, Corbin pointed out, used Burks, a natural shooting guard, as a playmaker at times last season. Who knows, perhaps the team could even look to bring back free agent playmaker Jamaal Tinsley. Utah has a fourth point guard on its 20-deep roster in late camp addition Lester Hudson, who’s seen limited time so far.
“We’ll put our heads together (Sunday),” Corbin said.
The Jazz were trailing 17-11 when Burke was injured.
Things quickly unraveled for the home team, which lost a blowout against a superior Western Conference team with a star point guard in consecutive nights following Friday’s 96-86 setback to Portland in Boise.
The Clippers hit for a blistering 55.1 percent compared to the Jazz’s 36.1 percent shooting night.
The much-anticipated starting lineup struggled for the most part, with Favors only scoring two points on 1-for-7 shooting, Hayward missing 8 of 12 shots, Kanter scoring just four with six boards and Burke going 1 for 6 for two points with four assists. Burks was the top scoring starter with 12 points, while Richard Jefferson topped the team with 13 points.
Clipper backup big man Byron Mullens led all scorers with 15 points. BYU product Brandon Davies also gave L.A. a boost off the bench with nine points on three 3-pointers.
All of that, of course, was insignificant compared to Burke's injury situation.
"It’s the NBA. You’ve got to adjust," Corbin said. "We’re working a lot things out, and we knew we’d have to. This is another obstacle for us and we’ll put our heads together and see what we have, where we go from here."
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- What does it take to host America's largest...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28