LAS VEGAS - Freshman Mayci Jones fell in the quarterfinals to the second overall seed, as the BYU women’s tennis team ended its run in the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships on Saturday.
Jones lost to 41st ranked Lucia Batta of UNLV, 6-3, 6-2.
Jones’ run into the final eight was the furthest a BYU player has advanced in the ITA regional tournament since 2009, when Kristina Doerr made the final four. Her finish is also the highest for a freshman since her sister, McCall Jones, made it into the final sixteen in 2008.
This tournament featured 19 western schools. The singles and doubles champions advance to the 2013 USTA/ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships, taking place Nov. 7-10, at the indoor facilities at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, located in Flushing, N.Y.
The Cougars compete in their last fall tournament Nov. 8-9 at the Arizona State Invitational.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27