Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The surprise choice of Rep. Cox and what it means for the future
Does the lieutenant governor selection suggest a change of priorities for the Herbert administration?
Pignanelli: Herbert and his economic development director Spencer Eccles recently refocused their efforts on increasing high-paying jobs in places other than the Wasatch Front. Cox is a natural complement to this important rural initiative.
Webb: With the partial shutdown of the federal government and overall irresponsible federal dysfunction, a great opportunity exists for the Herbert-Cox administration to rally the nation’s governors and legislators to support a smart, bipartisan, digital-age, problem-solving, balanced-federalism initiative. Such an initiative would not be a right-wing, ideologically driven effort, but would focus on how government should work in the information age. It would be about competency, performance, solving problems and getting things done. It would demonstrate that concentrating all power at the federal level simply doesn’t work. The federal government, like an old, outdated mainframe computer, is too big, too unwieldy, too expensive and too dysfunctional. Smart networks of state and local governments could out-perform the federal government — a good initiative for the Herbert-Cox administration.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D’Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- On second thought
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- About Utah: He's a fair fixture
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 51
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 46
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 30
- Americans are changing their tune on... 27
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap?... 25
- In our opinion: Par for the president 24