Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The surprise choice of Rep. Cox and what it means for the future
Does the lieutenant governor selection suggest a change of priorities for the Herbert administration?
Pignanelli: Herbert and his economic development director Spencer Eccles recently refocused their efforts on increasing high-paying jobs in places other than the Wasatch Front. Cox is a natural complement to this important rural initiative.
Webb: With the partial shutdown of the federal government and overall irresponsible federal dysfunction, a great opportunity exists for the Herbert-Cox administration to rally the nation’s governors and legislators to support a smart, bipartisan, digital-age, problem-solving, balanced-federalism initiative. Such an initiative would not be a right-wing, ideologically driven effort, but would focus on how government should work in the information age. It would be about competency, performance, solving problems and getting things done. It would demonstrate that concentrating all power at the federal level simply doesn’t work. The federal government, like an old, outdated mainframe computer, is too big, too unwieldy, too expensive and too dysfunctional. Smart networks of state and local governments could out-perform the federal government — a good initiative for the Herbert-Cox administration.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D’Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell
- In our opinion: Dropouts face high risk of...
- Michael Gerson: A Senate takeover — No...
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 150
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 65
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 52
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 29
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27