BYU football: Alani Fua's pick-six helps lift BYU to 38-20 victory over Georgia Tech
BYU scored its first TD on Hoffman’s first TD of the season — an acrobatic grab just over the goal line with a Georgia Tech defender draped over him.
Georgia Tech tied the score on its ensuing possession with a touchdown on a 2-yard run by Lee, the Yellow Jackets’ quarterback. The drive was highlighted by a 52-yard completion.
The Cougars answered with a touchdown drive capped by a 2-yard run by Williams.
Georgia Tech scored a 37-yard field goal by Harrison Butker early in the second quarter on a 16-play, 55-yard drive that consumed 7:15 off the clock to make it 14-10 for BYU.
On that drive, Georgia Tech converted 4 of 5 third-down opportunities. Two of those came on third-and-17 and third-and-14.
Hill appeared to give the Cougars a 21-10 lead, but his 13-yard touchdown run was negated by a holding call on wide receiver Ross Apo at the goal line. BYU settled for a 23-yard field goal by Justin Sorensen.
On BYU’s next possession, Hill scored a 1-yard touchdown as the Cougars seized a 24-10 advantage. With 59 seconds before halftime, Butker drilled a 44-yard field goal for the Yellow Jackets.
After the Cougars drove into Georgia Tech territory, Sorensen missed a 52-yarder as time expired before halftime.
In the third quarter, both teams struggled to generate much offense, and the teams were scoreless in that period.
A blocked punt late in the third quarter put Georgia Tech in position to cut into BYU’s lead, but the Yellow Jackets ended up missing a 42-yard field goal attempt.
Fua’s interception return then gave the Cougars a cushion with 11:01 left in the game.
“We were killing ourselves,” Lee said. “BYU has a good defense, and you can’t kill yourself against a good defense. They played the same as last year. Their defense doesn’t change. They just line up; they outman you; and that’s what they did to us.”
Both teams scored touchdowns in the final three minutes, including a 15-yard run by BYU’s Algernon Brown.
The Cougars visit undefeated Houston (5-0) Saturday.
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- NFL cuts tracker (updated): Former BYU WR...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Damian Lillard finding success with rap...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 92
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 64
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 30
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4... 16