Utah matched the score with a 75-yard march of its own, complete with a big pass to kick off the drive. A 35-yard throw from Wilson to Bubba Poole ignited a possession that included a fourth-down conversion and ended with a 4-yard scoring strike from Wilson to Karl Williams.
The Utes, though, didn’t stay in a 7-7 standstill with the Cardinal for long.
Montgomery returned the ensuing kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown to put Stanford back on top with 7:21 to go in the first quarter.
Trailing 14-7, Utah punted and later benefitted from a missed field goal by Stanford’s Jordan Williamson before evening the score once again. A 51-yard touchdown pass from Wilson to Anderson knotted things up with 10 seconds left to play in the opening quarter.
The deadlock remained until the Utes put together a sustained drive late in the half. A 3-yard touchdown run by Anderson concluded an 11-play, 99-yard series that took 5:05 off the clock.
Utah led 21-14 at the break. The Utes held significant statistical advantages in total yardage (280-209) and first downs (14-6).
“Our game plan was perfect tonight,” Wilson said. “We wanted to spread the ball around to loosen up the middle for the running game and we were able to do that.”
The Utes (4-2, 1-2) continue Pac-12 play next Saturday at Arizona. They visit USC the following week.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34