High school football: Manti beats Juab 41-33 behind Fowles' 411 rushing yards, 5 touchdowns
MANTI — What a game, what a game.
The Manti Templars and the Juab Wasps both went into Friday's region game undefeated, and the contest certainly lived up to its hype. The Templars and Wasps had plenty of offensive firepower, but in the end, senior running back Kamren Fowles could not be stopped in Manti's 41-33 victory.
Fowles had a game for the ages. With more than 411 rushing yards and five touchdowns, Fowles' career night vaulted him into the Utah record books as he became only the fourth player in Utah state history to rush for more than 400 yards in a game. After Friday night's game, Fowles now has more than 1,000 yards rushing to go along with his 17 touchdowns.
Manti, which relies heavily on running the ball, narrowly missed out on setting the state record for most rushing yards in a single game. The Templars finished the game with 608 rushing yards, coming up short of the 657 yards set by East against Jordan in week 3 of this season.
Most people playing video games would have a hard time racking up that many rushing yards with a single player, and Fowles accomplished that in real life. The offensive line dominated the game from start to finish as it opened up huge holes for Fowles to run through. Fowles was hardly touched on some plays.
Every time the Wasps started to make a comeback, the Templars relied heavily on their running backs Jared Schiess and Fowles to carry the team, and they certainly answered the call.
Juab quarterback Nick Robins had a strong game, throwing for five touchdowns. Robins now has 24 touchdowns on the season with just three interceptions. Wide receiver Dedric Davidson caught two touchdowns on the night, while Brandon Morgan, Nathan Bassett and Keaton Osborne each had one.
Going into week nine of the high school football season next week, Manti will look to keep its perfect streak going as it travels to take on Judge Memorial on Oct. 16. Juab will look to rebound from the loss as it takes on the Union Cougars the same day.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: Both BYU and Cal have lots to...
- Utes vow not to look past Buffaloes
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lands three-star RB commit and... 25